Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday Made It

Reuse, recycle... well that is what I did.  During my blog meandering I found the Power Tower video from Teacher Tipster.  He used the small paper cups for his tower.  I thought about items that I've been hoarding storing in my classroom.  Which brought me to the small plastic cups our church uses for communion.  I'm sure some of you also have used these cups on a Sunday and thought, "What can I use this for."  Well in the past I rescued these cups from the trash, brought them home washed them, and neatly stored them away in my classroom for a rainy day.  No really, when we have inside recess on rainy or snowy days I will bring out my storage box of neatly stacked communion cups and let my kiddos build towers with them.  This makes for a very quiet inside recess as most of the kiddos are so busy concentrating on making the tallest tower in the classroom.

Back to my idea... I thought rather than buy cups to write math facts on I will use these small communion cups.  Enough said here is the picture of my creation.  Now to find the just right recycled container to store the game.

I added the large paper clip to the picture so you can get an idea of the size of the cups.



Also, here is a freebie I created for my math class.  Our school district uses Math Expressions and I will use this to reinforce number words and adding ten to a one-digit number.  I call this Equation Word Match.  This is a simple go fish type game, I've learned over the years that my students enjoy playing games without too many directions.

And there's more... I saw this card holder idea in blogland but (I'm sorry) I don't remember where.  If it is your idea please send me an email and I'll link you up.

The card holder is made with two margarine tub type lids and a paper fastener.  Couldn't be easier!  I think the pictures will give you the directions.  Now to get my family to save the lids for me so I will have enough for my class.  Reuse - isn't it great!




 

Enjoy your Monday!

12 comments:

  1. Sooooo love your recycling ideas! Reuse of the communion cups......um, brilliant!!!! Can you imagine how many of those go in the garbage??? Your idea is wonderful!!!! Thanks for linking up:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Now I'm going to have to start collecting communion cups...

    Kristi
    Learning's a Hoot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the freebie! I love that you were able to put those cups to another use.

    Lorena
    Little Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I will definitely be doing this!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the card holder and cups. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the power towers! Another project for me!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cardholders! I mean how many kids have you seen struggle trying to fan them out? How lovely!

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such great ideas!!! I am gonna have to try those card holders! I know it will save some frustration for my kiddos!!!

    rene'
    A Passion For Primary

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea with the communion cups!! Im your newest follower!

    Jess
    From Blood to Books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your version of the Power Towers. Very cool! I am giving away a $20 TPT gift certificate. Come visit and enter to win! :)

    Delighted in Second

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving all of your great ideas. Thank you so much for sharing them. I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete