Friday, September 13, 2013

Five For Friday

Happy Friday Friends!!!  We all love our students and our classes but isn't Friday a great day of the week?!

1 - Busy workers!  Don't you just love it when your kiddos are doing everything right?

2 - Like so many of your classrooms our first Social Studies unit is "Me on the Map".   For part of the unit the students work with a partner to create their own map.  The students must draw the map, include a map key, compass rose, and title.  They must also include many details on their map.  


3 - Line basics - does that sound familiar to anyone?  I've been snapping pictures and video when I can.  I love showing the students these pictures and video, then asking what good things do they see.  Sometimes we do have to talk about the wrong things their friends may be doing.


4 - THANK YOU Heidi and Emily at Second Story Window for the fabulous post about chunk spelling!  Here is our first spelling list: 


The students did a great job copying the words into their spelling notebooks.  The tests were very good!  Now I just have to continue to work the kiddos so they can test each other while I circulate the room and manage.  This is such a great way to differentiate!

5 - Today several students earned their incentives for our school's positive behaviors program.  They thought today was fantastic!!!  I had one chewing gum, one sitting in the special chair, one having an iPod break (when time allowed), a fluffy friend came to school, and a pair of slippers!  I was so proud that everyone was able to pay attention even with all that going on.


As an added bonus our school PBIS team (I'm part of that great team) (I added that in case they read this blog post) put on a super fun line and hallway basics program.  The student body sang, danced a little, and quickly reviewed our line and hallway basics.  The entire school went over all these PBIS details at the beginning of the year but they sure did need a refresher this week.


Thank you Doodle Bugs!



Happy Friday Friends!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I think this is the first time I've come across your blog! I've started following along :)

    I love your number 1- that magical feeling when everyone is doing what they're meant to be doing, when they're meant to be doing it... magic!

    Those rewards are also very cool... so simple but effective!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished up an activity too on the book "Me on the Map"! I love that book. I like that the text is so simple, but that it makes total perfect sense!!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do PBIS at our school as well. I never thought about taking pictures of line behavior. I will have to do that next week. Thanks for sharing! Great idea!

    Portia
    Tidbits From Ms. Pitts
    http://mspitts2ndgraders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete