Saturday, October 5, 2013

Five for Friday on Saturday


Where do the weeks go?  I'm amazed at all the work, reading, and learning activities that take place in a classroom.  I'm sure many of you are on the same page.  Here was our week...
 
 
    This week we had an Amazing Race PBIS event at our school!  As part of the planning team, we met several days after school, had all the details worked, everything was all set.  Friday comes and the forecast of scattered showers didn't stop the team.  My class is ready to start their part of the Amazing Race and and the clouds open up!!!  Still the team pulled together and within ten miinutes they set up a substitute race course in the gym. 
    First thing Monday morning a sweet student from last year stopped in to say hi and give me a hug!  Then within minutes another sweet student stopped to say, "I made this for you, Mrs. Brown!"  What a great way to start the week!
 
 

    I love having iPads in our classroom.  We are very fortunate to have 6 at our grade level and have the ability to borrow a few more if necessary.  This week my math students completed the STAR math assessment.  If your school doesn't have the Renaissance Learning system, check it out.  The reading and math assessment are great and the reports certainly help when setting interventions for your students.
 




     Hard working math students!  Our school uses Math Expressions Common Core, I love it!  The program incorporates math talk and the ability to explain answers.  I also really like to use the whiteboards for students to work out their answers.  This past week my math class did a some video recording while explaining answers.  We listened to the students explain the answer and then watched their video.  Most of the time the students did a great job explaining but there is always room for improvement.
 
 


   It is so fun to watch the students working during our reading workshop time.  I agree with Doodlebugs, October is when everything starts coming together.  One day students worked on testing each other with the chunk spelling words.  My kiddos are also doing a great job with switching up partners.  I remind them to not alwasy pick the same partner.

 
 
 
Happy weekend!
 






4 comments:

  1. It looks like a great week! I had 5 iPads last year, but I don't have any now. I'm missing them!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I love having the iPads. We use them for so many things.

      Delete
  2. Your class so looks so engaged in every photo! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You know how difficult it can be at times to keep everyone on track.

      Delete