Sunday, March 23, 2014

Busy Classroom!

*     Blogging in our jammies!  To celebrate spring (although it doesn't feel like spring) our school had pj day.  Today was a blogging day for my second graders.  As part of an enrichment time for some of my students, the students blogged about an assignment.  
          We are using Kidblog.  It is very safe and easy to use.  My students were up and running with their posts in no time.  It was so cool to here their excitement and enthusiasm about our new project.   I love when they go home and tell/show parents what we are doing in our classroom.  One parent commented (with a big smile), "You've created a monster!"  She then went on to tell how her daughter just had to blog and everything needed to be just right.




*  Poke cards - my students love these!  I created this new set for the book Owl at Home.  I love the immediate feedback the students get when they use these cards.



*  A visit from Grandma Sue - Grandma Sue wanted to spend the day in her granddaughters classroom.  Grandma Sue just sit and watch, she did!  She read our story from reading textbook, she helped with our Tasty Tuesday recipe, Leprechaun Pie and most of all she gave me lots of compliments!





*  Working together - In an effort to make less copies for my students, I've had pairs work together.  Here two students work together to figure out synonyms.  So far the students are doing great.  To ensure accountability I have the partners hold up their completed work while someone takes a picture on the iPad.  I am able to check their work and delete the pictures if I choose.



Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out the Kidblog. It looks great. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I wanted to let you know about a Pinterest contest that Shaw Contract Group, a global commercial flooring company, is running through April 30. The contest, called Design Schooled, is open to teachers, who by pinning their “dream classroom,” will be entered to win a $25 gift card from donorschoose.org.

    Link to more information about the contest: http://www.shawcontractgroup.com/designschooled

    I would love it if you could help us spread the word! We aren't trying to sell anything - our purpose in holding the contest is to research what teachers see as good classroom design. The results of which, we will apply to our product development and share with those who are designing future classrooms. Hopefully, both the contest and the results will benefit the teachers who follow your blog.

    Thanks so much for your help. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or comments you may have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    I am currently working toward my elementary education degree at Illinois State University. I was given the task to find educational blogs and see how they can be useful in the classroom. I am so glad I ran across this one,because over this past semester we have been using kid blog in our class to further discuss what we have been going over in class. I really love the format of it and think it would be awesome to use in my classroom one day! Is there any problems you have run into using it? I would love any advice you have to give for utilizing different technologies in my classroom.

    Thanks so much!
    Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaylee, I'm glad you found my little blog also! My 2nd graders LOVE blogging, in fact they get a little giddy when I tell them they to blog something! I have set my restrictions so everything has to go through me (I have to accept/approve their comments). I don't think my students would have been ready at the beginning of the year to blog but now almost at the end I think it's great. I have some other ideas for next year and will spend some time this summer doing a little research also.
    Additional technologies - our 2nd grade is working toward a less paper grade level. Totally paperless is very difficult but we are all coming up with ideas. One idea I had was to have students hand in some work using iPad apps. Popplet is a graphic organizer app that my students use for main idea and details. For fluency we've used the app Sock Puppets - the students get into crazy voices, talking faster, and reading with more fluency.
    I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy, I have been enjoying reading through your blog. Your strategies for using technology to reduce paper use are great-taking a picture with the iPad is brilliant! It's great to see how much fun your students have with blogging, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete