Thursday, January 21, 2016

Thrifty Thursday - Teacher Style


Happy Thursday, Friends!

Today I'm sharing a STEM activity that we will do today!  Here in northeastern Wisconsin many people go ice fishing but, in our classroom we are fishing for ice.

My students love the STEM activities we do.  I would love to have the time to accomplish an activity each week but the reality is I can maybe get a couple of the activities each month.  

I like using the investigation form format.  I set the stage by telling the students we are working in a science lab and then pose the question to the class.  Students make their hypothesis, next we have a short discussion time to share.

Now the fun begins with students usually working in pairs to complete the investigation. Side note - I almost always have partners rather than groups of three.  Second graders aren't the best at taking turns and sharing so partners work well for me.  During their investigation time I encourage the partners to stay on topic with their discussions and ask "why questions".

Here is the investigation form and explanation.  

Please share your pictures with me when you complete this investigation!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment