Friday, February 19, 2016

Five for Friday


Thank you, Doodlebugs for hosting this weekly linky!

I'll get right to it...

I know this picture is a week late but I thought I'd share anyway.  My kiddos were excited to find this Pinterest inspired Valentine idea.


Monday (2/8) was Chinese New Year!  Several years ago my hubby and I traveled to China so I have lots of things to show the kids.  I displayed the items on our SS bulletin board.  The kids enjoyed treating our display like a museum.  For our tasty treat we made rice krispie sushi.  So cute! And yummy too!


During Chinese New Year we talked about Chinese inventions.  Fireworks were an interesting topic for the kiddos.  So after a little research and watching some very interesting videos with exploding sticks we were ready to improvise our classroom fireworks.

Our class worked hard on putting the sticks together.  We found that in 15 minutes we cannot get a lot of sticks together and this is an activity that is total partner work.  Our second grade is hoping to have all three classrooms work together to make a large exploding stick display!  We've got our fingers crossed!


This month also found the students in our class working a president research project.  They used pebblego.com to find facts in school.  The students also had a homework connection - work with your parents to find more information about your president.  They could use books, magazines or the Internet to complete the homework.

The final product is a Google Slides presentation.  In January the students completed a biography presentation using Google Slides, so this product was a quickly finished and without too many questions for me.


Finally, the students have off today.  The teachers have an in-service day.  Maybe anticipating a day is the reason my kiddos were so squirrely today?!?

Have a great weekend!


4 comments:

  1. The exploding sticks look interesting! I'll have to Google that! Thanks for sharing!

    Katie
    Teaching Voracious Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Your students will love the project!

      Delete
  2. I love your class valentines. They are adorable. I will have to save this idea for another year! The rice krispy sushi is precious!
    Joni
    http://kinderkidsfun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete