Thursday, July 6, 2017

Spelling Choice Board

Spelling word practice - essential, important, but sometimes hard to manage. We know that students need to be able to apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills when they decode words. How can classroom teachers manage this important time of the day?

In the past I would decide what spelling activity I wanted the students to complete. This procedure was okay but I wanted my second graders to take more ownership in the classroom. I did some Pinterest searching and found that many of you are using Spelling Choice Boards.

Using all of you as my mentor, I created my own Spelling Choice Board. I printed on white cardstock with astrobright border, laminated it, and will hang this up on my ELA board.

To use the board, I will have a class helper select a spelling task for the class to complete. In our class we do not have time to do a spelling task everyday - probably three times a week. To make the selection, will probably have the helper toss a squishy-type ball at the board. This will eliminate the helper selecting the "easy" spelling tasks. I can also blindfold the helper, spin them around, and make the selection - pin the tail style. I hope the kiddos will come up with some other ways to select the task.

Once the task has been chosen, they will mark the selection by clipping a clothespin to the task. That way the students will be able to check back to the Spelling Choice Board if they forget what they need to do. The clip has a front and back so it works with either side of the board.

Hopefully, the students will take ownership by using the Spelling Choice Board.

Judy

1 comment:

  1. I love giving my students a choice in what we do. It definitely increases ownership! I teach high school, so we don't have spelling, but we use a project menu (choice menu) when we're studying novels. We always see a lot of awesome projects turned in during this part of the school.

    The Teal Paperclip

    ReplyDelete